There’s lots going on at EC, but Sado is also a great place to relax and take in the traditional surroundings of an island that still offers a nostalgic taste of old Japan. We hope you’ll take advantage of all EC has to offer, but we also hope you’ll leave some time in your schedule to let things unfold as they come.
Preparing for the Weather
The sun on midsummer Sado is stronger than you might think. You are likely to spend a lot of time soaking up rays at EC, so don’t forget your sunblock. You will also need a hat, and please make sure you drink plenty of water while you are here to protect yourself from dehydration and sunstroke. But while the days are hot, the nights can become suddenly cool, so be sure to bring along some warm clothing for the evening. Concerts will not be canceled in the event of rain, so please be sure to bring along rain gear as well. Please do not use umbrellas in the concert venue as they can block the view of the people sitting behind you.
Things to See and Do in Ogi
Check the EC Free Pamphlet for information on Ogi, and feel free to stop in and ask for details at the EC Information Centre.
Sado Tourist Information
Stop by the EC Info Centre for Sado sightseeing pamphlets, island bus schedules, etc.
If you want to camp at Earth Celebration, Sobama Beach is the place. It’s just a 15-minute ride from Ogi. A special shuttle-bus service to the beach is offered during the festival, with roundtrips every hour between the EC Info Centre and Sobama Campground. It’s also a great place for swimming and BBQs. Please check in at the EC Info Centre for details.
Onsen (Hot springs)
There are hot-spring baths in Ogi. How about a slow soak before the concert?
- Ogi no Yu:
- Aug. 17-19 12:00 – 22:30
(Usual Hours 12:00 – 21:00)
- Fee: 390 yen *Soap and shampoo provided.
- Aug. 17-19 12:00 – 22:30
- 10:00 – 21:00
Fee: 390 yen
Places to Eat and Drink
There are plenty of places to eat and drink in the Ogi Shopping Arcade and at Harbour Market. Look for detailed info at the festival. Although there are a few supermarkets in Ogi, there is no 24-hour convenience store, and it takes about 10 minutes by car to the closest one located in the Hamochi area.
Luggage Courier Services
You can send your camping gear and other luggage to the EC venue through Yamato Transport’s courier service. Simply send it from a convenience store from anywhere in Japan, or use their pickup service to send bags right from your home. There is also a Yamato booth opposite the Harbour Market where you can store bags on a daily basis or send them home after EC.
- Luggage Pickup Service:
- To have your luggage shipped directly from your home (in Japan only), please call the Yamato Transport Customer Service Center.
- Yamato Transport Customer Service Center Tel. 03-3541-3411
- Sending Luggage to Sado:
- Please write the following on the Address Label:
- Delivery Address : EC Harbour Market-mae Yamato Unyu Shuchojo Ogi Minato Koen, Ogi-machi, Sado-shi, Niigata-ken, 952-0604
- Your Full Name
- Your Mobile Tel. Number or Sado Accommodation Tel. Number
- Operation Hours for Luggage Collection & Storage at EC:
- Aug. 16 (Thu) 14:00 – 18:00
- Aug. 17 (Fri) 9:00 – 22:00
- Aug. 18 (Sat) 9:00 – 22:00
- Aug. 19 (Sun) 9:00 – 22:00
- Aug. 20 (Mon) 9:00 – 12:00
- Luggage Pickup Location:
- Yamato Transport Service Counter opposite EC Harbour Market (Ogi Port Park)
- Luggage accepted for shipment after 13:00 will be sent the following day.
- Luggage Storage Fee: 300 yen/day (per piece)
* Valuables, perishables, and animals cannot be stored.
* After 22:00 when the booth closes, luggage will be taken to the Yamato Transport Co., Ltd South Sado Center for overnight storage.
- Please Note:
- Please retain your shipping receipt and bring it to EC with you to collect your luggage.
- Certain containers and items cannot be sent by courier. If in doubt, please check in advance with Yamato Transport.
- Using the delivery service is subject to a contract between the customer and shipping company. The Earth Celebration Committee can take no responsibility for any damage or loss of items that may occur using this service.
- If the total of length, width and height added together is greater than 160cm, certain convenience stores will not be able to send your luggage. For details, please contact the Yamato Transport Customer Service Center.
- If you have any further questions, please ask your local courier.
Yamato Transport Co., Ltd. South Sado Center
- 0259-81-3100 (Japanese assistance only)
- Customer Service Center:
- To have your luggage picked up from your house (in Japan only), please call the Yamato Transport Customer Service Center
- Yamato Transport Co., Ltd.
There are only 3 ATMs in Ogi: a JA Sado ATM and a Daishi Bank ATM (No English menu/Japanese bank cards only) next to the EC Info Centre and a Post Office ATM (English menu/accepts certain foreign-issued cards) about an 8-min. walk from there, near Ogi Gym. Please note that most stores in Ogi do not accept credit cards. EC tickets must be purchased at EC with cash, as credit cards are not accepted at the EC Info Centre or EC Official Shop.
- Daishi Bank ATM:
- Mon – Fri 8:45 – 19:00, Sat/Sun 9:00 – 19:00.
- Post Office ATM:
- Mon – Fri 8:45 – 18:00, Sat 9:00 – 17:00, Sun 9:00 – 14:00.
*Accepts certain foreign-issued credit cards. Click here for Post Office ATM details.
International ATM Service – JAPAN POST BANK
- JA Sado ATM:
- Mon – Fri 8:45 – 19:00, Sat/Sun 9:00 – 19:00.
Lost and Found
If you lose something while at the festival, or find something someone else has left behind, please stop in at the EC Information Centre. Please note that we don’t handle valuables at the EC Info Centre lost and found; all valuables (wallets, purses, etc.) should be taken to the police station just down the road.
About Shiroyama Concerts
Shiroyama Concert Venue
About a 10-minute walk from Ogi Port, Shiroyama Park is home to EC’s outdoor concerts every year. The path leading up from Kisaki Shrine opens into a lush natural amphitheatre where you can sit on the grass and enjoy the show.
Entrance Order Colour Cards
All seating in Shiroyama Park is general-admission, outdoor seating on the lawn. In order to make things smoother for everyone at the concert entrance, Entrance Order Colour Cards are distributed prior to each concert, and card-holders are admitted to the venue according to the colour on their card.
- Distribution Desk:
- Kisaki Shrine
- Distribution Time:
- Aug. 17 & 18 (Fri/Sat) 9:00 – 17:00
Aug. 19 (Sun) 9:00 – 15:30
(Distribution will end when all cards are gone.)
- Obtaining your Entrance Order Colour Card:
- You must show your ticket or voucher for that day’s concert to receive a card.
- Elementary and junior high school students receive free admission and don’t require a concert ticket for admission, but they do require an Entrance Order Colour Card if they wish to enter the venue early. There are “Elementary/Junior High School Student Entrance Order Colour Cards” available for ages 6-14. Please just ask for the number you require. (Ages 5 & under do not require a ticket or colour card.)
- Only one Entrance Order Colour Card will be granted per ticket. One person may receive up to a total of 5 Colour Cards, whether for ticketed adults or free admission school children. (We may increase this number when the queue is short.)
- Please Note:
- Before the venue opens, please assemble in numerical order in the appropriate line at the time shown on your Entrance Order Colour Card.
- We will check your concert ticket as you enter the venue. Please have it ready in hand with your Colour Card. (You cannot enter the venue using only your Entrance Order Colour Card.)
- Entrance Order Colour Cards are not required for entrance, but those without cards will be admitted to the venue last. If you have time during the day to drop by Kisaki Shrine, we recommend picking one up so you are not kept waiting when the gates to the venue open.
- If you arrive at Kisaki Shrine after your assigned assembly time, please come to the Kisaki Shrine Reception Tent and you will be guided into the venue.
The Walk Up to Shiroyama Park
The path leading up to Shiroyama Park is extremely steep (166m long, average gradient 21% ). For anyone who requires physical assistance entering the venue, a special shuttle is available. Please register ahead of time by calling the EC Committee before Aug 14, or register at the EC Info Centre during the festival.
Shiroyama Park offers only free seating directly on the park’s lawn. The lawn can get damp from dew or rain so we recommend bringing a ground cloth or plastic sheet to sit on.
Consuming Alcoholic Beverages in Shiroyama Park
Inside Shiroyama Park, drinks (beer, chuhai, soft drinks and water only) and snacks are available at the refreshment tent. The Shiroyama Concerts are a place to relax and have fun, which for many people includes picnicking on the lawn, but please help us keep the atmosphere in the venue enjoyable for everyone. Bringing your own food and drinks into the concert venue is allowed, but we ask for your utmost cooperation in adhering to the following guidelines. Also, please note that draft beer is sold in reusable cups, so be sure to return used cups to the designated collection point.
- Please do not bring ANY glass containers into the park. This includes bottled beverages and/or glass cups, etc.
- Please eat and drink only in the seating area, and refrain from walking around the venue with open containers or drinking in the dance area.
- You and your group may be asked to leave the venue if excessive drinking creates a disturbance to other audience members around you.
Dealing with Trash at EC
Both in Shiroyama Park and at other festival venues at EC, the number of trash cans is limited. As much as possible we ask you to please leave each venue with all of the trash you brought with you. When using the trash cans inside the venues, please check for separation of burnables, non-burnables and recyclables and make sure to put your trash in the right container!
Sado Island has been promoting the “Reduce Event Waste Project” since 2008 and Earth Celebration is one of its role-model events. Our “EC+O Project” (eco project) has formed alliances with various environmental groups, and together we continue our effort to reduce, recycle and reuse.
EC Information Tent
There is an EC Information tent at the rear of the concert venue. Please check here if you lose something in the Shiroyama Concert venue.
Please note that we don’t handle valuables: all valuables (wallets, purses, etc.) should be taken to the police station just down the road.
Rest rooms are located at the top of the hill as you enter the concert venue. A wheelchair-friendly facility is also available.
There is a first-aid tent at the rear of the concert venue. Please inform EC Staff if you or someone else in the venue requires medical attention.
- Shiroyama Concerts will be held in the event of light rain. However, if the presenter deems the concert cannot be held safely outdoors, the concert will be canceled.
- Photography and video or audio recording during the performances is strictly prohibited. Anyone found to be using recording equipment may be asked to hand over their equipment until the end of the concert.
- Please TURN OFF your cellular phones before the performance begins.
- Please understand that the performance start may be delayed to ensure the safety of audience members.
- Please understand that performing members and performance times may be changed due to circumstances beyond our control.
- Please do not bring pets into the venue. (Guide dogs are welcome.)
- Smoking is not allowed in the seating area. Please smoke only in the designated smoking area.
- Please do not enter the roped-off areas beyond the concert venue area. Camping is not allowed in the park.
- Parking facilities in Ogi are limited. Please refrain from driving to event venues whenever possible, and be sure not to park your car in front of people’s homes, or anywhere else where they may cause an obstruction.
- Please do not park bicycles anywhere near the entrance to Kisaki Shrine.
- Please understand the presenter cannot be held responsible for any accidents, loss or theft that occur at Earth Celebration.